We have been overwhelmed in the last few days by all the people, both near and far who have told us how much joy they found with Iko. We are immensely grateful that so many have taken the time to write, email, call or just stop by. It helps get us past this sad, sad stage, and gives us comfort that he was cherished by his community.
After not doing much cleaning this weekend, I had to start in today. I took his beds, sheets and towels, downstairs, washed them and put them away in case we bring "puppy unknown" into our lives at some point. I drained his water bed on the back porch. I took his leftover food to the animal shelter on 15th. His unused medicine I took back to the clinic so they can help out other dogs.
I still have the two "back seat beds" that converted the back seats of our cars into kingly beds with room to stretch out on long drives. I made them to fit our cars precisely so they don't have much other use. He was the best traveling dog. He slept, waking every so often to see if we were there yet. He was always glad to get where ever we were going, whether it was some windswept turnout on the Interstate or a cabin on the beach.
I kept his collars and leashes, and the red and orange harnesses. The things I've had the hardest time deciding what to do with are his toys. I mean, how do you give a half chewed fabric frog to someone without feeling awkward? Do dogs like other dogs' toys anyway? They're too gross to go to Goodwill - although I could launder some of them I suppose. And no, we can't keep them. That's just crazy talk.
So it goes.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment